Saturday, March 1, 2008

Hello Aquaddicts!


I am very disappointed today, because it snowed mightily yesterday and I had to miss the February meeting of the Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society. They had a good lineup of plant related topics and I was hoping to find some Dwarf Chain Loaches and Otos in the auction phase of the meeting. I also wanted to join, since I haven't done that yet. I am having some serious issues with algae and snails in my 20 long planted tank and need the help that active munchers can provide. I am more than a little worried about how the loaches will treat the Cherry Shrimp, but it's a chance I'm willing to take. Normal measures are not doing the trick, and since I have the shrimp I can't use any chemical treatments on the snails. I would be quite wary of that anyway since I'm not really a fan of chemical treatments.
The tank does not look nearly as orderly as it does in the picture. Some of the plants have died, the Ludwigia has become a bit of a forest and, of course, the algae and snail problems are visible. It still looks pretty good, certainly better than it did before I added the 65W Coralife Aqualight and the CO2 system that I bought at Elmer's Aquarium. I cannot believe how fast the plants grow! It's so very cool to see, and the fish seem happier than ever. Once I add the new fish then I hope to concentrate a little more on the other tanks. They could use it, that's for sure.

No comments: